Saturday, October 1, 2011

Shish Cafe

I probably can't count the number of times I have passed by the unassuming strip mall that Shish Cafe is located in without giving it a thought. Then within the past few months I've had two separate people rave about it when I've asked for recommendations for good Middle Eastern food and made a mental note that I really should stop in to see what they have to offer. Even so, we just never seem to think about it when we're looking for somewhere to eat until this past Friday when somehow we actually remembered to stop in.

Now that we've finally eaten there, we won't have trouble remembering it in the future. Shish Cafe is located on the West side of Madison on University Avenue and has many classic Syrian dishes, including a number of lamb, seafood and vegetarian meals with a smattering of chicken and beef offerings as well. The waiter did not seem to have a clue about gluten when I asked, but I pulled out my trusty Triumph dining card which he diligently read and then advised me on the menu choices.

We ordered the lamb chops and also the sea bass, both with hummus as the waiter informed us that the basmati rice was made with pasta in it. He was also careful to leave off a garlic bulb that he reported was usually served with the sea bass because it is typically dusted with flour.



Both meals were done to perfection and seasoned well with the lamb cooked to medium and the sea bass being tender and cooked perfectly. The hummus was also delicious as was the yogurt dipping sauce. The portion sizes are not large and the sea bass left me wishing for a few more bites. I think the expectation is that the pita that is served on the table will supplement the portion sizes, but this of course is not an option when eating gluten free.



Overall, I would recommend Shish Cafe. We were able to get a table easily on a Friday night although we were asked if we had a reservation which may mean that this may not always be the case. The food was good and the waiter's attention to my needs meant that I was able to eat there safely. Although my portion was somewhat small, the diners around me had reasonable portions. The prices were reasonable and are comparable to other casual dining restaurants. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment