Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Fresco

Fresco is located on the roof of the Madison Museum of Contemporary Art on State Street and is part of the Food Fight Group. We had originally planned on eating at the Icon but when we arrived we learned that they were only serving all you can eat mussels and decided to try somewhere else instead. Fresco is across the street and so off we went.

Before yesterday I'd only been to Fresco for drinks and I would recommend it for the view alone. It's a great view of downtown Madison and could be a pretty romantic location to watch the sun set. I'm not sure why I hadn't tried their food in the past, but was happy to find out that many of the items on their regular menu were also on their gluten free menu. Their website suggests that their menu changes frequently, so I'm not sure if this is always the case.



Given that I'd originally planned on tapas for dinner, I ended up ordering two appetizers as my meal and chose the sweet corn risotto cakes with roasted poblano cream, corn and tomato salad and the shrimp diablo with a jicama orange salad. They were both delicious with the shrimp diablo being just the right amount of spicy and the risotto cakes being crispy on the outside and creamy on the inside. I must admit that this was an instance that I was so hungry that I forgot to ask about cross contamination issues with the risotto cakes, but I didn't have any negative effects afterward and for that I was very grateful. I would certainly encourage people to ask about these before ordering them but I'd guess that the menu will change shortly as their current menu seemed summer themed.


I can now say that in addition to having a great view, I can also recommend Fresco for their food. It would be a great location for happy hour if they had a happy hour menu. They are somewhat on the pricier side, but certainly in line with other similar restaurants downtown and the view is included. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, I've always wanted to go there, and I'm glad to read your positive review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    Just saw this review pop up in my reader. I was hoping that you may allow me to use on our site and link back in similar fashion to Greenbush review earlier this year please?

    Many thanks,
    Mike
    Travel Gluten Free

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many thanks!

    I have added the review to the site here so please feel free to check it out.
    Travel Gluten Free - Wisconsin

    Thanks again,
    Mike

    ReplyDelete