Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Bunky's

I'm sure anyone who's been gluten free in Madison for more than a month knows about Bunky's. It seems like they've been catering to gluten free diners in Madison before it was cool to do so. I think that one of the main reasons that they're so great is because the owners have a family member with gluten intolerance and they really seem to be on a mission to provide great GF food to the community.

If you've ever been to Bunky's you know that the atmosphere in the restaurant is one of a kind. It's part grandma's house, part Middle Eastern marketplace and all uniquely Bunky's! Their move to the new location on Atwood a short distance away from their original Atwood location did not dampen the unique style of this restaurant.

I vaguely remember ordering a couple different items when I first ate at Bunky's before I discovered the magic that is the pesto pizza and I have to admit that it's now the only thing I get there. It's been so long since I've had anything else except for their desserts (more on those to come) that I can't honestly comment on anything else on their menu. They do have GF pasta available with most of their pasta dishes and can do any of their pizzas on the GF crust which is made by Silly Yak Bakery.

This past Tuesday I was there with a friend and as always ordered the pesto pizza which has pesto as the sauce with spinach, basil, cheese and artichokes on top. I always get the large size so that I have some to take home for the next day. As always, it did not disappoint. Silly Yak also carries Bunky's pizzas frozen for preparation at home and I have gotten these in a pinch, but I really prefer getting them made at the restaurant.



As I alluded to above, Bunky's also makes amazing gluten free desserts - the difficult part is saving room for them when the entrees are so delicious, but I always seem to find room. They always have several GF options and this time I had the chocolate mouse pie which was light, fluffy and heavenly. I've had several of their desserts and they have all been excellent!


If you're in the market for great gluten free food in a cozy, quirky atmosphere, Bunky's is the place to be! Enjoy.

4 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Just checking this review out. Are you ok for me to use on site like previous reviews and link back with credit please?

    Thanks.
    Mike
    Travel Gluten Free

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a neat place! The food was super-warm and tasty. The cheesecake was excellent. And I really liked the decor, especially the wall of mirrors!

    ReplyDelete