Friday, May 27, 2011

Quivey's Grove

Madison has finally started being consistently warm this month and for us that usually means it's time for out of town visitors. One of the places that I like taking people who are here to visit from out of town is Quivey's Grove. It's actually one of the first restaurants I ate at when I moved here and it gave me a sense of the type of down to earth style of cooking that is typical of classic Wisconsin fare. It was also one of my first introductions to how easy it is to eat gluten free in Madison in comparison to other cities that I've visited and/or lived.

As many people may know, Quivey's is actually two different restaurants - the more upscale Stone House and the more casual Stable Grill. They both have gluten free menus and although I've typically eaten at the Stable Grill, I've also found the Stone House to be delicious and accessible to a gluten free diet. If you've never gone through the tunnel from one to the other, it's a fun experience - at least once!

On this occasion I noticed that the menu had changed since my last visit there and one of the dishes that I typically order - the trout is no longer on the menu. The waitress seemed somewhat unsure about what was gluten free on the new menu and after checking with the kitchen I ended up getting the Windsor Whitefish, which is actually quite similar to the trout. The Whitefish is baked in a dill and mustard butter sauce and served with parmesan potatoes. The fish was perfectly cooked and has a mild flavor.



I've been to Quivey's many times and have always safely eaten a good meal there. They're also well known for their fish fry and they do have a gluten free option, although it's not breaded like the one offered at jacs (which I promise to review one of these days!). I would definitely recommend Quivey's and my only complaint is that the restaurant always seems full and the wait staff seem to have more tables than they can successfully attend to and ordering can sometimes feel rushed. With a little patience and good company, however, Quivey's is a great gluten free option. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. We were just there for dinner the night before I left for Costa Rica. It was great and I'd definitely love to go back. I loved being able to snack on my leftover ribs the next day on the plane ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never tried their ribs - and I love ribs! I'll have to keep them in mind next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't been there since we went there with you. Next time I'm in the mood for a hearty meatloaf, they're at the top of my list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heidi,
    I can't even remember how we discovered this place that first time, but I'm so glad we did! You should definitely head back.

    ReplyDelete