Sunday, April 10, 2011

Greenbush Bar

Since moving to Madison, I've heard about Greenbush Bar and gotten lots of rave reviews about their menu, particularly their brick oven pizzas. Greenbush Bar is located on Regent Street and easy to miss unless you're looking for it. It's located in the basement of the Italian Workmen's Club and has a rich history in Madison.




Prior to being diagnosed, I spent countless hours eating Italian food, good bad and mediocre because Italian restaurants are everywhere to be found and easily taken for granted. Since switching to a gluten free diet, I've approached Italian restaurants with caution because it seems that it's generally unlikely that I'll be able to make a meal out of the items of the menu unless I'm in the mood for salad while my dining companions eat pasta/pizza. To be sure, with the increase in the number of Italian chain restaurants offering gluten free menus, options for gluten free Italian dining are not as limited as they have been in the past. However, eating Italian food from a family owned restaurant on a gluten free diet is often challenging.

After learning that Greenbush Bar offers gluten free pastas and pizzas, I was excited to eat there. Memories of rich ragus with freshly made pastas from my pre-diagnosis days in New York City came to mind as we were seated and I got a whiff of what the kitchen had to offer.

This past Friday was my first visit there and as I looked at the menu, I was torn between ordering one of their pasta dishes or a pizza. The smell of the pizzas on the tables of the other guests and the gusto with which they were eating convinced me to try one of their gluten free pizzas. At Greenbush, the pizza comes with sauce and cheese and the toppings are ordered individually. After much deliberation, I ended up ordered the gluten free pizza with sausage, artichokes and feta and a glass of wine.

 


First I will say that the toppings were delicious. All three toppings together were a bit much and the pie would probably have been better with just two, but that was my own doing and something I'll keep in mind if I return. The bottom of the brick oven crust was deliciously crispy. However, somewhere between the crispy bottom of the crust and the toppings, the pizza did not meet expectations. I'm not sure whether the pizza was underdone or whether the ratios of the flours used were not appropriate but the crust had an unpleasant consistency that stuck to my teeth and was not enjoyable. Overall, I give this pizza a "B."

I  may yet give Greenbush another try, probably ordering one of their pasta dishes, or another pizza with fewer toppings and requesting some extra time in the oven because if they were able to solve the crust issue, this could potentially be a great gluten free dining option. Hopefully you have some delicious Italian food in your future! Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I was just reading your review. I run a gluten free travel website and was wondering if you may allow me to use yours on the site? I will link back with full credit.

    Thanks,
    Mike
    http://www.travelglutenfree.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mike,
    Sure, feel free and thanks for checking out my blog.
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was at Greenbush about a year and a half ago (before I started writing gluten free restaurant reviews myself). I know I ordered a pasta dish, but I no longer remember which one. Unfortunately, I was glutened by it. With that and a wait of well over an hour for a table, I'm not sure it's a place I want to venture back to. Especially with so many other places in Madison that happily serve me gluten free food! I'm so glad to have found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comment - that's good to know - I might skip a return visit then because you're so right, there are tons of great GF places to eat around town. I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Visit Madison Restaurant Review to see a Madison metro area site with detailed reviews and pictures with at least 1 new restaurant review each week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. With a passion for pizza Naples Pizza Bar was created! We saw a need for an authentic Italian Pizzeria, family recipes were borrowed, cousins who run their own Pizzerias in Naples Italy were consulted and grilled! From there an award winning and very unique crust (dough) that really has set Naples Pizza Bar apart was invented.
    Peri Peri Chicken

    ReplyDelete