Sunday, March 27, 2011

Taste of India

Before being diagnosed and switching to a gluten free diet, I'd eaten Indian food occasionally, but had not been particularly impressed and rarely sought out Indian food on my own. After being diagnosed, I tended to avoid most dishes that were heavily sauced or with gravies because I assumed that they were likely to be thickened with flour or some other gluten containing ingredient and most Indian dishes seemed to fall into this category.

A few years ago, while living in Arkansas, I  tentatively rediscovered Indian food after being convinced by friends to try a restaurant in town. For those following along, these are the same friends who convinced me to try Sushi (they were pretty convincing friends) which as my previous post has shown, I previously refused to eat and now love! Here again, I found a genre of food that is actually very friendly for a gluten free diet and which I am now a huge fan of. It's amazing how much more open minded I am about food now that my choices are restricted by gluten! It seems that in most Indian restaurants, at least the ones I've been to, even the "bread" (papadums) that is typically brought to the table is gluten free as it's made from chick pea flour. Avoid the naan and other breads made from flour and most of the appetizers and it seems that for the most part the other dishes seem to be gluten free. I always double check when I try a new restaurant of course.

Yesterday we went to Taste of India on Monroe Street for their lunch buffet. We eat dinner here regularly and always enjoy our meal. The staff is very friendly and seem well educated about gluten. I don't normally eat at lunch buffets because of cross contamination issues, but since the majority of the food seems to be gluten free, I make an exception here. The menu is extensive and I'm not sure about all the items, but everything I've ever asked about in the entree section has been gluten free. I avoid the dishes on the buffet that are beside the naan and all the appetizers which tend to be breaded and fried and which are kept in a separate area. Even with doing this, there are a number of dishes to choose from. Yesterday I had the chicken tikka masala, goat curry and chick pea curry with rice and coconut and mango ice cream for dessert. Yum!



Taste of India is a pretty inexpensive option for lunch at $9.95 per person. It's served between 11:30am-3pm. For dinner an affordable way to enjoy this restaurant is with gift certificates from Restaurant.com which often has $25 gift certificates for a highly discounted rate (these are only valid for dinner). You can normally get them for $15 but I've gotten them for $2 on sale and saved them until we get a craving for Indian food since they never expire - there is a minimum $35 purchase.

Hopefully there's some delicious Indian food is in your near future. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Do you know if Taste of India's paneer pakora is gluten free? I know it's fried butt the recipes online seem to have a variety of different types of breading possibilities

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ashley - I don't, but the people at the restaurant are very helpful! I'd suggest giving them a call to ask!

      Delete